Saturday, March 3, 2007

Family Values in Jessfield Terrace

The other day I was given a lift by a taxi driver who happened to be a neighbour of mine: he lived in Jessfield Terrace. We were talking about Edinburgh - I'm always keen to find out what people are thinking. He suggested that there is a lack of what he would call 'family values' in some areas of society. He pointed out some of the bad manners and even the intimidating atmosphere in some areas, especially at night. He felt there had been a definite decline in manners and behaviour.

Having a daily experience of young people and families in the area I know that families come in different shapes and sizes, and the values that my neighbour pointed out are not just values based on families but values for individuals and communitites too.

There is a problem with good manners and the behaviour of a few. So I believe we have to be strong on the issue of manners as it makes life much more pleasant for us all. Good manners comes from a generous heart - I think we have to look to encourage both in our community.

No comments: